Monday, July 15, 2013

Maiden Ride II - Night Rides on my Maldea

After my maiden ride with Mako I was able to squeeze in several more short rides and then I stopped. Not because I don't want to anymore, it is not also because I broke something or lost something. It's because I found something.

I am a member of several bike forums and bike groups in Facebook and all of these groups allow members to post their items for sale. And while browsing through the pages I found a custom made steel frame posted, and the price was within my budget. Without hesitation I messaged the seller and told him that I will be getting the frame. In that same instance I decided that I will be letting go of my KHS Alite frame, that same day I got a confirmation that someone will be getting my Alite frame. Problem solved. 

Picture Courtesy of Robert Martin

So what was the custom frame that I got? Well if you look closely at the decal you will be able to read "maldea". Nope, that's not the bike owners name, that is actually the last name of a Filipino frame builder who custom built this High Tensile Steel frame.

Who is Maldea? Well let me just quote Eric Caruncho of the Philippine Daily Inquirer on that:


"Before the advent of mass-manufactured bicycles, all frames were built by hand. But today, bicycle frame builders are a dying breed. In the Philippines, you can count them on the fingers of one hand. But ask around bicycle shops and hardcore riders' groups and check the Internet and one name keeps coming up: Ave Maldea."

"'His craftsmanship is second to none,' says one cycling aficionado who owns nine Ave Maldea frames. He admits that he also owns bicycles made of aluminium, carbon fiber and titanium and rides and enjoys them, but he says his steel frames are his keepers, especially his custom Ave Maldea frames."

I have seen and heard of his custom made frames before but never really imagined that I will be owning one, mainly because it's a custom made frame and custom frames are always heavy on the pocket. But I have always wanted one that is why when I saw this frame posted there was no hesitation in my mind when I messaged the seller.

I met up with the seller's brother to pick up the frame, I was excited and anxious to be honest while waiting for the frame. Anxious because it's a custom made frame, even if it's size 16 according to the seller, the angle and the length of the tubes could still be off to my size. I was also anxious because for me the price of the frame was just too good to be true for a custom frame, and like what many say in the buy and sell community, anything that is too good to be true is false. Excited because it's a custom frame! Excitement grew and anxiety faded when I was holding the frame in my hand, checked the frame for dents and cracks, checked the joints and like anyone who have seen a Maldea frame, I was in awe of the smooth joints. Ave actually fillet-brazes the joints of the frame that is why you will not be able to see any weld marks if the frame has been painted. Closed the deal and went home after checking the frame.







 Custom Drop-outs, Integrated RD Hanger and Adjustable Disc Brake Mount

Marks of a Craftsman

Stripped of the paint and decided that I wanted the frame to be grey with orange accents to match my components. Designed my own decals and had it made in a decal shop. Bought two cans of primer grey and clear coats and started painting. I just hope Ave comes up with his own badge and I will definitely be getting one for my frame. I was also thinking of having him sign my frame. :D



Decals placed and paint dried up I went to build my bike, luckily now I have all the tools to do it on my own. And I was really happy with the build, tested it to check for the size and everything was flush except for the my handle bar that is too long,  I will be having it cut soon.

A couple of days after the build I was really itching for a ride but can't because of the work schedule. And then one night after a long day's work all stressed out on my way home I decided that as soon as I reach home I will be taking my bike out for a spin, and that is what I did. My first night ride. 


I was only able to take 1 picture of my ride that night, it was a short 6 km ride from my house to a near by mall. The following day I decided that I should go out again and this time double the distance and more pictures!






Single speed on a steel frame, almost no motorized vehicle outside. Just me, my shaking legs and my awesome Maldea bike. Will definitely ride out more I just hope I already have a helmet by then and some bike buddies to ride with. :D


No comments:

Post a Comment